Black Forest Stolen
- 2x 500g Jar of stoneless cherries in syrup
- 200g block of 70% dark chocolate
- 500g Self Raising Flour
- 200g of Butter
- 200g of White Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 325g of Quark (cow milk product, German version if possible)
- Tip cherries into a strainer over bowl to separate pitted cherries from juice.
Madi’s tip! Dry Cherries with a paper towel, take away any excess moisture otherwise the dough will be too damp and sticky
- Grate chocolate finely in a separate bowl
- Put flour in a pile on bench, make a well in the centre and place grated chocolate, drained cherries, butter, sugar, quark and eggs in well.
- Knead all ingredients together.
Madi’s tip! Put some extra flour on the side to use if dough gets too sticky while kneading.
- Form dough into log or loaf shape.
- Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover dough with a tea towel and leave in a warm spot for 50mins.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Place loaf in oven and Bake for 10-15 mins.
- Reduce heat to 150 degrees and bake for remaining 20-25 mins
Madi’s tip! Check loaf with a skewer, if it comes out clean – cover loaf with alfoil, turn off temperature and leave in the oven for 5 mins to rest.
Remove loaf from oven and let cool down on the bench before sprinkling with icing sugar.
Madi’s tip! Make sure the loaf is completely cool before sprinkling with icing sugar otherwise the icing sugar will melt! Sometimes Madi leaves the Stolen loaf on the bench all day before sprinkling with icing sugar.
* Storing the Stolen is best in a Tupperware container lined with baking paper.